Monday 29 October 2007

Rejection No.1

So, I'd finally sent those letters + synopsis and first 3 chapters (of my kids' book) off to a bunch of carefully selected agents. The first reply took 9 days to arrive...

I'm a real writer! I got my first rejection!

I've been away for the last few days, so it fell to my other half to open the dread-letter and tell me the news. I felt more sorry for him, to tell the truth.

It was a personal rather than a form letter (good), and the agent said she liked my central character (good) and thought my writing had 'some lovely touches' (v v good!). HOWEVER, she said that due to the genre it would be difficult to place with a publisher as the market is so saturated with that type of book (damn and blast) and it would only appeal to girls (well, yeah).

Maybe she was just being nice, but I tend to think that she probably has a point. Then again, if she'd loved it then this may have all been irrelevant.

Decoded, I think she probably meant: 'Your writing doesn't totally suck, but I don't like it nearly enough to take you on'. Which is fair enough!

So how did I feel? Actually, ok. It was quite novel getting my first rejection letter - although I am sure as eggs is eggs that the novelty will wear off very quickly! I felt disappointed and a bit grumpy for about half an hour, then borrowed a dog and went for a long walk on a beach. This did the trick. After a couple of days to think about it, I do feel a little worried that maybe my book will be difficult to sell because of the reasons the agent outlined, but then again I'm not going to let this eat away at me too much at the moment. The most important thing to think is: HECK, I've written it, now I need to try and sell it and get on and write some more.

To that end, I've written another 1000 words of my adult novel and plotted out a second children's book. Not bad, huh?

5 comments:

Dani said...

Even though it is a rejection it did highlight some really positive things about your book and it's such an achievement to get your book completed and out there, I'm sure you will be successful with it.

Good luck and I hope the positive letters keep on coming to you.

Lane Mathias said...

Hurrah - you want to be a 'Finisher':-)
Send me your email address (my email contact is on my profile page) and I'll get blogger to add you.
See you there;-)

Unknown said...

Great attitude :-) Send it off again to someone else unless you feel there is something you can do to tweek it and keep writing the other stuff. WTG!

Helen Shearer said...

Hi. I just got my first rejection from an agent in September and, as disappointed as I was, I keep telling myself that a piece of my work has been read by one of the best agents in the business. This rejection moved me one rejection closer to an acceptance. Keep at it. Goos work will find an agent.

Jenny Beattie said...

Wow, love your attitude. It's a very healthy way to feel. She's just one response.

Well done,
JJx