Sunday 9 December 2007

Putting It About A Bit

Earlier this week I printed out my manuscript of my children's book, planted a kiss on the coversheet (don't worry, not a lipsticky one) and sent it on its merry way to The Agent Who is Interested and Wants to See More.

Fly, fly, fly, my pretty one!

Call it denial or pessimism or preoccupation with various other mad and crazy things that are going on in my life, but I have a feeling that this will come to nought. I'm normally generally optimistic, but I just have a nagging doubt that this will turn out to be THE ONE. Can't be more specific - and it's certainly nothing to do with the agent involved - it's just something in my gut that is telling me not to get my hopes up. So with that in mind, I'm going to submit to another couple of agents. Everyone knows/will know that they're not the only ones looking at my book, so hopefully no one will be too put out.

Got to give myself a fighting chance, gotta spread the love!

6 comments:

CL Taylor said...

Oh I can so so SO SO agreed. In fact I'm so sure my agent submission will lead to nothing that I'd put £100 on it and I'm not really a betting girl (the fact I play the National Lottery every week is proof I'm a dreamer not a better!). Anyway, I'm glad you're feeling the same way as me. Especially when everyone is so excited for you and you think "They're excited but they're wrong to be excited. They don't know what I know." and "They haven't read my book!"

Fingers crossed we're both wrong but, you know, I'm 99% sure I'm not!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I know that feeling too. Yep, keep submitting. Although Carole Blake, in 'From Pitch To Publication', says don't submit between early Dec and mid-Jan because of the Xmas/post-Xmas rush.

KayJay said...

Cally - yep, I'd put money on it too! We could make a bit of dosh for Christmas...

Zinnia - you know, I've heard so much conflicting advice re when to NOT to submit. I've heard don't submit near Christmas/New Year, Summer hols, October (Frankfurt Book Fair), March/April (London), May/June (New York, Bologna)...so I guess that leaves...February? Late September? Early November?

On the plus side, I've also heard from Those Who Should Know that it's actually a very good idea to submit near holiday times because agents inevitably take stuff home to read. And have readers who can spend more time reading at these times.

So take your pick. I decided that my previous ideas about getting the timing right were actually just procrastination and fear of actually putting stuff in the post. My attitude is now: if it's good enough and if it's FATE, it'll get attention! If not - bah humbug - there's always February...late September...early November...

x

CL Taylor said...

Hi KayJay - just popping by to wish you a very Happy Christmas and New Year. Here's to lots of success in 2008 :o) x

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I know what you mean about the conflicting advice. I'm going to be bothering a large number of agents towards the end of Jan! Just popped back to wish you a very happy and published New Year.

Flowerpot said...

best of luck and let us know!