Monday 24 November 2008

Pass me the machete

Just a quickie to say I've edited 15% of the book so far, and all is well. This isn't the first edit for the beginning of the book by any means - certainly the first third of the book has been through quite a few drafts already. Still, I'm struck by what amount of work it still needs! And I'm anticipating doing at least 2 further drafts (including this one) before the thing is ready to be submitted anywhere.

I've cut 2000 words which is good - it's so cathartic! I'm about to get rid of a character who doesn't do anything and save them for another book. It's enough to give you a god complex. I love it.

I really like this process so far. It was such a relief to end the story, as I was never entirely sure how it would end until I got there. Now I feel like I can tinker and cut and rewrite to my heart's content, having got a better idea of the overall shape of the story. That's what was so difficult when I was still writing the first draft: keeping the through-line and shape of the book in my head. I see now that everything (dialogue, scenes, funny bits) has to add something significant to character and/or keep moving the story forward, every scene has to contribute to the whole, rather than the book being a series of vignettes. I guess that's what they mean by killing your darlings. I feel like a mass murderer at the moment! It's great!

4 comments:

Kate.Kingsley said...

Glad you're enjoying your serial killing spree :-)

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I like that part, too. Shaping and moulding and refining the arrangement of words so that the story shines through.

Sarah*G* said...

Just wanted to stop by to say Merry Christmas to you and I hope 2009 proves to be a great one for you!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

And a Happy New Year from me - hope everything's OK.