Sunday 23 September 2007

Ain't that the truth...

'The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamouring to become visible.'

Vladimir Nabokov


I love this quotation. Not that I'm this huge Nabokov fan or anything - I think I read the first page of Lolita and gave up - but it does describe how I'm feeling at the moment. (That's the quotation, not the first page of Lolita.)

Actually my word count has gone up in the last week, a little. It's just that right now there's a wee bit too much 'clamouring' and not enough 'becoming visible' going on. Still, it's Sunday, so that means there's time for a long walk, housework, sex, Michael Palin, a big lunch and writing! And not strictly in that order.

(I have just Wiki-ed Nabokov and apparently he was a synesthete! Fascinating. Synethesia is a person thinks Mozart sounds orangey or the number 3 is red or the letter f tastes of sherbet. I've always been a bit inclined this way...to find out if you are, look here. I'll bet a fair few of you are.)

4 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

Cor, you have good Sundays:))
x

Lane Mathias said...

oops. Meant to say hi too:))
Lane from the NR

Dani said...

hiya, hope you're well!

argh just typed a comment then my net connection was lost! I'm forever comparing my chapters with my friends' and it always makes me feel negative about mine so with this novel I've tried to not read and be influenced by other peoples', it's mine all mine haha until at least the first draft is over, and then when I'm on the second draft I'll probably be comparing and ripping it to shreds haha x

Dani said...

that was meant to be on your latest post, not this one, btw! sorry!x