Monday 17 September 2007

Miss Write...boo who?

The Search for the Next Big Thing in Chick Lit is Over! There ain't gonna be one!

Ah, well. I have the Cosmo/Waterstones/Sphere comp to thank for a hell of a lot. It got me to crack on with my Chick Lit book and introduced me to the blogs of the gals on the right hand side - well worth a read, if you haven't already done so.

The fact that I spent most of August on tenterhooks, waiting for the phone to ring, well...

It seems like the demi-gods who were judging the competition have decided not to appoint a winner. I have to say, on reading about the comp earlier in the year I was surprised by the notion that someone would be given a publishing deal on the strength of 3000 words and a synopsis. Rumours abound as to why the whole thing has been so 'badly managed'. Personally, I'm of the opinion that this was somebody's bright idea that was passed on to someone else with a different agenda and not a lot of time on their hands (sounds good, doesn't it?). Either that or we were all a bit crap.

I'm sure if you've been anywhere near as obsessed with the whole thing as me you've already read the news, if not, check out the blogs on the right for the low down.

I don't feel so bad, really. It's fab for the runners up to get some time with Louise Candlish, pick her brains - that would have been a great experience. Just because I didn't make the cut, I don't think it's any huge reflection on my book. Sphere have a list and the winner's novel would have to work within that list. Cosmo have a demographic, and I'm the wrong side of it! Waterstones have never liked me, either.

Anyway, a heartfelt congrats to those who were runners up, and a huge slice of sympathy for those who weren't. Not that we need it, huh?

(Use the pain, goddammit!)

3 comments:

Sarah*G* said...

thanks for stopping by my blog. best of luck with the writing!

CL Taylor said...

I found you! Loving what I'm reading already. How cool to have had plays performed - it must be wonderful to see your words come to light (and the audience's reaction). I got a little taster of that when the Liar's League performed one of my short stories. It was so strange - as though the story wasn't mine anymore but belonged instead to the actor who read it out.

Anyway, fingers crossed you make it into the Novel Racers before we close the doors. It would be lovely to add you to the ranks!

Juliette M said...

Hey fellow new Novel Racer! I have to admit I was also miffed by the Miss Write (or Miss Wrong, as it turns out) comp. Hmph. Anyway, it too made me find this site (through Cally) and made me get on with my chick lit novel. Plus, if I'd never entered that, I would never have discovered how much I enjoy writing chick lit, so I guess I can thank it for something!

Looking forward to reading more!