Monday 24 September 2007

I Don't Like Mondays

I didn't do half of the things I wanted to do yesterday. No writing, no Michael Palin...and as for the rest...

I'm finding it difficult to make the mental switch from the day job to my novel at the moment. I have been so in the zone in recent weeks that it has been easy to fit in an hour here, a couple of hours there. But at the moment I can't find it in me to be quite so random and still achieve anything worthwhile.

It doesn't help that I'm at a place in the plot that might naturally lag a little anyway. I guess it's the calm before the storm. I can't wait to get the next couple of chapters out of the way so I can concentrate on the Beginning of the End. I'm having a few doubts about where the focus of the story should be and the overall story arc, the 'through line'. I think the only way to deal with it is to get the thing written anyway (thus sticking to my originally plot line) then reassess it as a whole piece. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up ditching some of it and changing the emphasis considerably. We'll see.

I've also got it into my head that I want to make some major changes to my opening chapter. I love my opening chapter. I must have written it several years ago and of course, it has changed considerably since those first scribbles. Yes, it's gone through some major editing but I've been very happy with it for quite a while. Until now. I guess it's because I've been reading so many opening chapters on various different sites and obsessing about how mine compares in terms of impact, readability, voice - all in regards to getting an agent or publisher interested, of course. The chapter has strengths, I hope: it begins in the heart of the action, has a distinctive voice, humour, an intriguing ending? Then again, as I write this I wonder if it is ALL THAT. Maybe I love my opening chapter for the wrong reasons - ie what it represents to me on a personal level?! Maybe my voice is derivative and the humour is sucky - and who ever thinks they don't have a good sense of humour? Am I telling more than I'm showing? Is my style too...I dunno...kinda cheap? Maybe I use too many damn dashes - and (brackets) and pose too many questions? Or dot dot dot...

Sorry, went off on one there. Having a bit of a deconstructive wallow. I'll rally. Just need to give myself a break then dive into it again for a good stint, uninterrupted.

Any tips?

6 comments:

Helen Shearer said...

Hi and welcome to the Novel Racers. I also think my opening chapter is a work of unparalleled brilliance, but I sometimes wonder if it's funny. Wouldn't it just be the worst thing if no one else laughed at the funny bits? When I start to doubt myself I have one of two people read it. They are people I can trust to tell me the truth and, more often than not, they laugh in all the right places.

Helen said...

I rewrote my first chapter for ages. It was my excuse not to carry on beyond chapter three.

My tip? Leave the first chapter as it is until you have finished the whole of the first draft - otherwise you will get stuck in an endless cycle like I was.

If you have ideas how you want to change it, write it down in note form so you don't forget, then crack on with getting the chapters you are on now out of the way. Remember these chapters that 'lag' are when the reader pauses for breath so are important. Good luck!

CL Taylor said...

You've written children's books right? Do you know how long a book for 9-12 year olds should be?

KayJay said...

Helens - thanks for your advice, I think there's a lot of wisdom in what you've said. I often get my husband to read stuff, but it's hard not to to hang on his shoulder, ranting 'Did you get to the funny bit yet? Why are you so quiet?'. I think I should just file it away for now and make a few notes when the urge takes me...and get the hell on with finishing the rest of it!

Cally - I'm no expert by any means but I've always been told 10,000 words upwards with a possible cap at around 30,000. Then again a lot of kids that age tackle Harry Potter... Of course, there's a huge difference between an average 9 year old and a precocious 12 year old who is probably reading adult or at least YA stuff.

I'm a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators; it might help you to have a scout around their site:
www.britishscbwi.org

Fiona Mackenzie. Writer said...

The trouble with opening chapters, IMHO, is that when you've reached about half way point - you've grown, your writing's improved or at least changed and you just want to go back and write it all again!

I've had good advice from the Novel Racers and Wannabeawriter message board. Sorry can never remember the address but Lane has it on her blog. The advice is: finish the novel. Give yourself permission to write crap - just finish it before you go back and change even a comma. At least I think that was the advice!

Lane Mathias said...

Hi KayJay. I would ditto the wise advice from above ( I mean previous comments not Him). Finish it first. You've only got 30% to go, then you can stand back and see the whole picture.

xx