Tuesday 25 September 2007

Getting Rid of Useless Stuff

Yesterday I was struggling, today it was all change Chez KayJay, thank gawd. I'm all inspired again.

Thanks for the words of wisdom re my first chapter wranglings, I appreciate them all. And all comments generally, unless you're trying to get me to buy something I don't need.

I ploughed on with the novel this afternoon and got about 1000 words done, which is distinctly average (and I fear the words were distinctly average too) but at least I got over my wobble. It wasn't flowing, however, so after a bit I buggered off to editing my children's book, which went really well!

My kid's book was well over 16,000 words - far too long for a chapter book for 6-9 year olds. It was my aim to get it down to 14,000 initially, then 12,000 on the third draft. I made a new document called BIG EDIT and chopped and chopped and chopped. I'm half way through and I've lost about 2000 words (including an entire chapter!) and considering that the second half of the book is much more over-written anyway, I reckon I'll get down to 12,000 words easily. Ideally, it should come in under 10,000, so that will be my goal for draft 3.

Weird to think that the end result will end up at least 30% shorter! Seems like a huge amount to lose. But what an illustration of cutting away the chaff! I had an entire chapter of filler where nothing happened, my dialogue was overly long and indulgent and I kept repeating stuff!

My mantra must be: is it essential for the story? If so, keep. And all the clever twiddly stuff or the random ideas I'm so fond of have to go, unless they are beyond fabulous (and even then, some of them will probably have go).

Funny. I've just realised that I'm doing exactly the same thing in other areas of my life! I'm doing a huge chuck out at home. If it doesn't serve a purpose or is beautiful, bin it! Or preferably recycle. And that's what I'll do with the edits too. They'll go into a file and maybe have a whole new life in a different story.

I utterly love this. I just want you to know that I'm in love with the whole writing process. It is driving me insane at times, but I have such a hunger for it. Sometimes it's frustrating beyond endurance, sometimes scary or even (dare I say it?) dull! Depressing! Faintly ridiculous! But so far, the good bits always come around again.

Ah, well. I'm only a beginner. Give me time and I'll develop some bitter cynicism and festering bile.

3 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

'Chuck outs' are so cleansing:))

Well done on all the editing.

x

Unknown said...

Excellant work.....some days chopping is so freeing. Keep up the good work :-)

Graeme K Talboys said...

Well done with the editing. Not always easy to chip away all those words we struggle to get down in the first place; but oh so satisfying to see the sparkly gem emerge from that lump of rock hewn from the mountain.