Wednesday 14 November 2007

Ask and ye shall receive....Rejection 2

In yesterday's post I merrily wrote that perhaps I'd hear from an agent this morning...guess what arrived in the post?

Rejection no.2. I had to smile.

As soon as I saw my own writing on the envelope, I just knew. I've always thought that if an agent is interested in seeing the rest of my ms they are going to very probably email (or even phone) me, not write. So anything coming through the post is likely to be bad news. I have heard of exceptions to this, but as a general rule I think it's probably true.

So what was this one like? Another personal letter, which is good. The agent basically said that although she liked my chapters she needed to feel absolutely in love with something to want to take it on. Totally fair enough. She also said something along the lines of 'I'm sure you'll be successful anyway,' which was probably one of those throwaway lines of consolation. If not, it does kind of beg the question: why didn't she want to take me on?!! But no, I get it. I don't feel bad about it either, remarkably. If I take her at her word, she liked it but not enough. I want my agent to fall in love with my work, I need them to be as excited by it as I am. It makes total sense.

I'm feeling weirdly confident about my writing at the moment. I don't mean this to sound big-headed, but I feel quietly sure that I will get somewhere eventually. With the confidence comes a realisation of just how far I've still got to go, but I do feel I can do it. My children's book is in great shape - I wouldn't have sent it out if I felt it wasn't - but I appreciate that I'm only a beginner at this and I've got a lot to learn. I think my chick lit novel has got some fab elements to it, but some parts truly, truly SUCK. It's going to take a lot of work and heartache before I start sending that out to anyone!

This is a great journey. I'm impatient as hell and I have times of seriously questioning my ability, but on the whole it all feels exactly what I should be doing. I'm in this for the long haul and Rejection no.2 is not going to change that. Neither will no.22 or no.42 - I'll just keep plugging away!

(Remind me of that occasionally, ok? If I get up to Rejection no.102 I might need to reassess...!)

Ok Universe, I asked for a response from another agent and I got it! Now can I have a positive response please?

2 comments:

Leigh Forbes said...

I'm so with you on this one, Kay Jay. My wall is papered with rejections for a novel (and some for short stories), and I'm thinking, well, if the average number of rejections (before acceptance) is ten, I'm getting close!

What are you doing with yours?

KayJay said...

Only ten? Blimey. Where did you get that from? Hope springs eternal.

I'd heard that Malorie Blackman got over 80 rejections before she got her first 'yes' and she has to be one of the most prolific and successful kid's writers! So I was kind of using that as a benchmark...

I'm storing mine in a Folder Of Doom, which is kept on a bookcase away from my other writing stuff, in case it somehow infects my writing with bad vibes. It's a bit like the whole raw meat/cooked meat thing. Except weirder.